A UNESCO World Heritage Site
Narrow Gauge Workshop Kalka - Located in the foot hills of Shivalik range of The Himalayas was established in the year 1903 as an auxiliary unit
of Moghulpura Workshop of the then North Western Railway,Lahore, Pakistan. It was established to cater the light repair needs of narrow gauge rolling stock of
Kalka - Shimla Section. After Partition in 1947 it became the part of East Punjab Railway and expanded to attend POH repair of Narrow Gauge stock of Kalka-Shimla & Kangra Valley Rail Section.
This is the only workshop of the Northern Railway having ferrous and non-ferrous foundry shops. In 1952 it was further expanded and became a major manufacturing shop of Northern Railway catering to the needs of Narrow Gauge, Broad Gauge, Rolling stock components and Locomotives. In 1998, manufacturing of new Narrow Gauge stock was shifted to Kalka from Jodhpur Workshop.
Due to geographical condition and area prone to rain , the workshop structure is designed with slanting roofs and foundry is situated 20 feet below workshop level with indigenous drainage system. Vintage machines of British era have been still kept in good fettle. Kalka workshop has developed a heritage street and park displaying British era artifacts and rolling stock.
This workshop earned a good name in Indian Railways providing safe and luxurious rolling stock for World heritage Kalka-Shimla Section. Some of the special coaches are CT-12-13 (Twin vestibule Coaches) , RA-200 (Shivalik palace), CT-14 (Jharokha), RA-100 (Lounge car) & 156 FCQ (Shivalik Queen).